"We began before words, and we will end beyond them. It sometimes seems to me that our days are poisoned with too many words. Words said and not meant. Words said AND meant. Words divorced from feeling. Wounding words. Words that conceal. Words that reduce. Dead words."+
Things have been really busy at Star City this year, haven’t they? I mean, just consider the sheer quantity of material that has been published in the last twelve months – if we take an average of three feature articles per day++ plus a couple of ‘submissions,’ and consider 240 working days or so – that’s well over…
…I’ll just get me calculator…
…twelve hundred pages of stuff – even more when you consider Alongi, Rizzo, and myself are prone to writing novellas.
And, I expect, like the saps you are, you (dearest of all dear readers) read the bloody lot, didn’t you? You surfed your way each day and digested the whole shooting match -and that’s just on Star City!
Maybe each site should produce an end-of-year special – a sort of ‘Best of the web…’ affair with… oh, I don’t know… a balance of serious versus stupid articles with, perhaps, EXCEPTIONALLY VALUABLE CARDS as awards?
Hmm? Would it work?
- Bullet Point One:
- Bullet Point Two
- The fall and (slow) rise of The Dojo;
- The fall and recent Phoenix-like emergence from the embers of Meridian Magic (this IS something to celebrate – go see its new look) (Yes, DO! –The Ferrett);
- The banning of Ritual;
- Trix and Replenish dominate the Summer, followed closely by the Trinity Green Please-keep-me-secret fiasco;
- The limp one-month suspension of Mike Long;
- The loss of Urza’s block, much to the relief of most of us;
- Star City recruiting just about everyone in the Magic community to Feature Write for them;
- Jon Finkel winning friggin’*** everything (he even took the bottle of Harvey’s Bristol Cream** at our local church raffle last weekend – the bastard);
- Invasion proving to be rather good actually (TM);
- Me getting a writing gig with some form of recompense; me qualifying (and coming 54th) at the English Nationals; me producing my first game**** and so much else besides.*****
- Bullet Point Three:
The one thing the Magic Community seems to be missing is some sort of award ceremony – I mean, you’ve got Rankings and Ratings and PT Points and the like, but the people need to find a voice; plus, I love all those award show things!
- Best Player In The World Today
- The Worst Thing About Magic: The Gathering
- Best Strategy Writer
- Best Non-Strategy Writer
- Best New Writer
- The Best Individual Article Of The Year Award (gotta nominate "Purge Mode: ON," here)
- The Players’ Favourite Deck
- The Players’ Most-Despised Deck
- Special Contribution To Magic: The Gathering Award
- Event or Moment Of The Year
- Ill-Considered Conclusion: