Welcome to the StarCityGames.com trivia contest. Do you have a lot of useless knowledge about all things Magical? Are you itching to show that you’re smarter than everyone else? Well, this is your big chance! Today, I will be posing 100 Magic-related trivia questions. The person that scores the most points is the winner, and will be acknowledged next week, along with the answers. Oh, did I mention that the winner also gets $25 of StarCityGames.com store credit?
You can find out how to submit your answers at the end of the article. First…
- The person with the most points wins. Ties will be broken by earliest submission of answers.
- Only one submission per person (submissions after the first will be ignored).
- Some questions are worth more than 1 point. In many of these cases, partial credit will be awarded.
- All people are eligible to play this game, except for the StarCItyGames.com editorial staff.
- All scoring decisions are made by me, and are final.
- All questions about cards only refer to Vintage-legal cards, unless stated in the question.
- Use the forums to ask me any clarification questions, but please do not post answers in the forums until after the submission deadline.
Basic Trivia (1 point each):
1) What was the first Red artifact printed?
2) What is the most recent card printed with a functional misprint?
3) Which card was originally printed with its power and toughness reversed?
4) What was the first Legendary creature whose rules text refers to another creature by name?
5) What card was mentioned by name in another card’s rules text before it even existed?
6) What Blue card was printed with a Green frame?
7) What White card was printed a Blue frame (with the wrong picture, too)?
8) Which creature, according to its original wording, is capable of making choices?
9) Which Alpha card, if played as written, would always destroy itself as a state-based effect?
11) What card is typically considered the 10th card in the power 10?
12) What creature card has the worst (power+toughness)/converted mana cost ratio (not counting x/0’s, or */*’s, etc).
13) What creature card has the best (power+toughness)/converted mana cost ratio (not counting 0/0’s, or */*’s, etc).
14) What creature card has the second best (power+toughness)/converted mana cost ratio (not counting 0/0’s, or */*’s, etc).
15) How many tournament-legal 5-color cards are there?
16) What card is known as Superman?
17) According to an April Fools Day joke, what was the sixth color of Magic?
18) According to another April Fools Day joke, which Mirrodin card was banned?
19) What set was playtest card “Flock of Dead Seagulls” supposed to appear in?
20) What card had the playtest name “Me Too”…?
Flavor (1 point each):
21) On what part of Dominaria does Mirage take place?
22) What character’s name is an anagram of Mr. Toilet?
23) Which card’s name is based on the name of a science fiction writer, backwards?
24) Which card’s art depicts Einstein?
25) Who was Mishra’s brother?
26) What card was intentionally named for a euphemism for toilet?
27) What card is the counterpart to Ydwen Efreet?
28) What card was named after a Wizards of the Coast founder’s D+D character?
29) What artifact is Glissa carrying in the art for Shattered Dreams?
30) What card’s art connects to the art for Paralyze from Beta?
31) What legend is pictured in the art of Leveler?
32) What card has the flavor text “BOOM!”
33) What is the name of the world in the Microprose Magic game?
34) Name 2 cards that are available on Magic Online, even though no set that contains those cards has been released.
Stupid Answers (1 point each):
35) What card’s art shows a man riding a surfboard on a wave of flame?
36) What card’s art shows a large golden mask of a jester?
37) What was the first card to grant fear?
38) Who invented the deck Friggorid?
39) What card’s art shows a gold monster holding an emerald in its mouth?
40) Who invented the Kuroda-style Red deck?
The next 20 questions are a little different. Below are 20 series of cards, and 20 potential answers. Match exactly one card in the answer bank as the next card in each series. Each answer can only be used once. Good luck!
Match ‘Em Up (1 point each):
41) Veteran Bodyguard; Kasimir the Lone Wolf; Moss Monster; Craw Wurm.
42) Abundance; Ancestral Memories; Angelic Page; Angelic Renewal; Angelic Wall.
43) Death Pulse; Venomous Vines; Nostalgic Dreams; Face of Fear.
44) Elves of Deep Shadow; Armadillo Cloak; Terminate; Lobotomy.
45) Bone Mask; Heartwood Giant; Three Wishes; Sleight of Hand.
46) Doubtless One; Shadow of Doubt; Elves of Deep Shadow; Wood Elves.
47) Abbey Gargoyles; Parch; Breath of Dreams; Lifeforce.
48) Chatter of the Squirrel; Grizzly Fate; Call of the Herd; Beast Attack.
49) Zap; Fork; Shunt; Tremor.
50) Necrogen Spellbomb; Bull Whip; Phyrexian Scuta; Annex.
51) Overtaker; Rathi Assassin; Avatar of Hope; Raging Kavu.
52) Lightning Bolt; Elvish Warrior; Elder Land Wurm; Rise / Fall.
53) Lightning Helix; Absorb; Dismiss; Repulse.
54) Drowned; Drowned Rusalka; Flood; Leviathan.
55) Drowned; Ghost-Lit Stalker; Zombie Boa; Bog Initiate.
56) Druid Lyrist; Buoyancy; Quicken; Stone Rain.
57) Azure Drake; Ayumi, the Last Visitor; Stone Rain; Blood Moon.
58) Tendo Ice Bridge; Thawing Glaciers; Deep Water; Boiling Seas.
59) Weakness; Night of Souls’ Betrayal; Ironclaw Curse; Flowstone Surge.
60) Angelic Chorus; Artificer’s Intuition; Caribou Range; Chamber of Manipulation.
Coils of the Medusa
Dark Heart of the Wood
Jareth, Leonine Titan
People (1 point each):
61) Who is Joe Black?
62) Which Magic celebrity has a Chuck Norris-style list of feats associated with him?
63) Which Magic celebrity is batsh** insane?
64) What is my constructed rating?
65) Who wrote the Love Song of Night and Day?
66) Who was the original editor of StarCityGames.com?
67) Who wrote article number 141 for StarCityGames.com?
68) Which StarCityGames writer suggested that a good way to watch Alias was to rent it from the library?
69) Which StarCityGames writer is named after part of the power 9?
70) Which StarCityGames writer wrote a book about how to have a great LAN party?
71) Which Magic Pro has finished highest in a World Series of Poker main event?
72) Which Magic Pro has finished highest in any event from last year’s World Series of Poker?
73) Which Pro is known as “Baby Huey”…?
74) Who invented Trix?
75) Who is known as the Juggernaut?
76) Who is known as the Dragon Master?
77) Which 2 people designed the Deckmaster decks?
78) Which 2 voters did not elect Jon Finkel into the Hall of Fame?
79) Who wrote the first (long) series of daily articles for this web site?
81) [2 pts] Construct a first-turn win without using any lands or artifacts, or any draw spells.
82) [.25 pts each] Which cards, originally printed in Beta, have a more recent card that is strictly superior to it? Ignore creature type. List both the original card and the more recent version.
83) [.25 pts each] Which cards, originally printed in Beta, are strictly superior to a more recent card? Ignore creature type. List both the original card and the more recent version.
84) [3 pts] List two cards that are an anagram of each other.
85) [2 pts] List a set of creatures that can be fetched with Protean Hulk that will allow you to immediately bring your opponent from 40 to zero life.
86) [2pts] Describe an infinite-mana combo using only cards from Beta.
87) [1 pt] List every card that you are allowed to play more than four of in a Constructed deck.
88) [2 pts] Construct a first-turn win without using any three-mana generating spells, or any draw spells.
89) [3 pts] Suppose the following card was printed:
When you play this spell, if it is your upkeep, you win the game.
Name 3 different cards that enable you to win with Puzzler’s Paradise.
90) [3 pts] What sets are also the names of a card?
91) [2 pts] It is your upkeep, and you have access to unlimited mana and any cards in your hand. No cards are in play. Describe a way to kill your opponent with a Fireball for 100 (during this upkeep), without using Quicken.
92) [1/2 pt each] Identify all the cards in the art for Johnny, Combo Player.
93) [2 pts] What 2 cards only have 1 copy in existence (they may not be tournament legal)?
94) [3 pts] What card has the same word in its name, art, and flavor text?
95) [1 pt] What is the combined power of all the Nephilim?
96) [2 pts] In the Microprose Magic game, which common Black card costs 2 jewels?
97) [2 pts] List 2 non-land cards that have no mana cost printed on them.
98) [2 pts] Name 2 spells that will stop Obliterate from resolving.
99) [2 pts] Which cards were accidentally left out of Alpha, but later included in Beta?
100) [3 pts] What was the first two-card infinite mana combo?
– All submissions are due before midnight EST on Sunday.
– E-mail your submission to [email protected]. You must put “MAGIC TRIVIA” in the title of the mail.
– Submissions should be in the form:
– Do not put the questions in the e-mail.