Here’s an extract from a recent e-mail I (may have) received:
"When will you bring back your entertaining cryptic clue quiz thing – you know the one I mean?
This e-mail is typical of hundreds of e-mails that I get … (comedy pause) … from Mrs. Trellis of North Wales!*
So without further ado, here are fifty moist avocados of obfuscated inveiglement for your personal nibbling.
Remember that each one is a clue / anagram / obscure reference to a Magic: The Gathering card:
1. Maybe in its natural surroundings
2. Ah! Boils!
3. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday etc.
4. Professor Abe smells a jet
5. Frightening a small nail
6. Aquatic mammal with backward temperament
7. Ring a (Monty) Python
9. Breast mold
10. Keeping fit without the Queen
11. It’s super with tea (almost)
12. A round fist
13. Big bullet
14. Eating in a most unseemly way
15. Greeting earth?
16. Invisible Education
17. D.N.S glamour
18. Falsify beverage
21. How you might describe draft…
22. They come after the first chants
23. Another live Verdi piece
24. What Miss Kelly spoke with
25. A Deep Purple song
26. Rapid peas?
27. Broom Reaper
28. Simple Inuit card-game
29. Essential vowels
30. Major dossier
31. Bear cards?
32. Free from Tiger’s parents!
33. Part of a cobblers’ Mardi Gras?
34. [EXPLETIVE DELETED]
35. Dry, airborne gas
36. How you contact the MS Helpdesk!
37. Where juggled balls go?
38. What Magic used to be called
40. La Gazza Ladra
41. Ripped fuss
43. Pod chatter
44. Wrt vitriol
45. Wrt Ham
46. Kermit and Miss Piggy have laryngitis
48. Great shed!
50. Ebon automobile (3 answers to this one!)
Go get ’em, cowboys!
Until the hidden cactus of Life pricks the saddle-sore arse of Destiny,
*The more astute amongst you will recall this is a direct pillage of material first broadcast on ‘I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue’ – quite the funniest radio program I have ever heard.